0844 493 7789*
*Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
Mon - Fri 08:30 - 21:00
Sat 09:00 - 17:00
Sun 10:00 - 16:00
CLAIMS NUMBER - call 0333 400 7365
Convertible car
Get a Quote button
Retrieve Your Quote button

Car Insurance: EU Car Insurance Laws

The first EU directive - This says that all motor insurance policies bought in Europe would include minimum requirements in all EU countries. The green card is no longer inspected at frontier posts as a result of this. The green card ensures that the policy is covered for EU & EU Associated Countries, however Cover in EU / EU associated Countries is restricted to a minimum (i.e.: Road Traffic Act and NOT Comprehensive, Third Party Fire & Theft, Third Party Only) Cover can be extended to give same cover as in UK following the payment of an additional premium.

Some companies give up to 90 days free with Comprehensive cover. If this is not the case, an extra premium is required to cover the duration of a trip. A Green card is required for non-EU countries. A green card acts as proof of car insurance - an international car insurance certificate as such.

For other countries (EG: America, Australia) cover has to be arranged when in that country

Motor Insurance Bureau - Car Insurance

The Motor Insurance Bureau covers two main agreements - uninsured drivers agreement, this means that if somebody causes harm or damage but is not insured then the Motor Insurance Bureau will provide for the damages of the injured party. The second agreement is the untraced drivers agreement or hit and run.

The Motor Insurance Bureau has been set up by the government to ensure that innocent third parties are paid as per the Road Traffic Act.

The Motor Insurance Bureau will become involved if an insured has lied to an insurer or breached policy conditions. In these cases a motor insurance company may want to wash their hands of the case, however, the Motor Insurance Bureau will ensure that the third party gets compensated. (The insurance company may then sue the insured for any amount it had to pay out). In this type of case there is an 'insurer concerned'.

The Motor Insurance Bureau also get involved in 'Hit and Run' cases or where the driver at fault has no insurance. They will collect an annual premium from motor insurance companies (based on the amount of motor business they do). If someone needs compensation from a hit and run case the Motor Insurance Bureau will use this pool of money.

The purpose of UK motor insurance laws is to ensure that all drivers are contributing to the insurance pot in proportion to their risk of accident.

The laws lay down a framework so that above all any innocent party who suffers because of a road traffic accident should be compensated.

As a specialist in car insurance we feel that we offer the best prices on car insurance, if you are unsure whether your policy allows you to drive abroad we recommend that you call one of our team we will help in any way we can.