0844 493 7789*
*Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
Mon - Fri 08:30 - 21:00
Sat 09:00 - 17:00
Sun 10:00 - 16:00
CLAIMS NUMBER - call 0333 400 7365
Convertible car
Get a Quote button
Retrieve Your Quote button

UK Road Tax Guidelines and Information

Every car kept or used on a public road legally requires road tax, car insurance and for vehicles over 3 years old, an MOT test in UK.

Road Tax

Road tax is a government tax on every vehicle, which is payable in advance for a 6 or 12-month period. Vehicles are only exempt from road tax if a statutory off road notification (SORN) is completed which declares that the vehicle is not kept or used on a public thoroughfare.

You can apply for Road tax through the DVLA or selected post offices.

To obtain a tax disc you will need the following items:

1. MOT certificate (If vehicle is over 3 years old)
2. Proof of valid car insurance covering the vehicle you are taxing.
NB. You must be specifically insured on the vehicle you are taxing. The ability to drive any vehicle is not acceptable proof of insurance.

Road tax reminders are sent to the registered vehicle owner just prior to date of expiry and the new disc must be displayed on the vehicle of the windscreen to which it relates. Failure to display a valid road tax disc is an offence in the UK. If you need the cheapest womens car insurance with a price promise, feel free to get a quote or call us now.

As car insurance specialists, we're determined to make this website a place that you visit more than once a year. If you would like to have a look around the site you will see that we offer more than car insurance, we also offer advice on keeping safe and maintaining your car with many other topics. If there are any subjects that you feel should be included on the web site please e-mail us //