0844 493 7789*
*Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
Mon - Fri 08:30 - 21:00
Sat 09:00 - 17:00
Sun 10:00 - 16:00
CLAIMS NUMBER - call 0333 400 7365
Convertible car
Get a Quote button
Retrieve Your Quote button

Claiming Against an Uninsured Driver

If you have an accident, the chances are the other driver will be a law abiding citizen with the required legal minimum of car insurance. 

Unfortunately, there is a small minority who are driving without any car insurance, MOT or in some cases, driving license. If you are not at fault for an accident, how do you recover your expenses against someone who has no insurance?

The Motor Insurers' Bureau

In the UK, there is an organisation called the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) which aims to help victims of uninsured and untraceable drivers receive compensation. The MIB is funded by all UK motor insurers. This adds between £15 and £30 to the cost of your insurance policy. The MIB is your best bet against an uninsured driver.

Suing an uninsured driver

Unfortunately, suing an uninsured driver generally doesn't produce many successful outcomes. It's a costly process for you, and even if you get a judgement in your favour, most uninsured drivers lack the necessary financial assets with which to pay you. If the other driver can't or won't pay up, you can go back to court to ask for a court order, but in many cases, if the defendent doesn't have the funds, there's little that can be done.