0844 493 7789*
*Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
Mon - Fri 08:30 - 21:00
Sat 09:00 - 17:00
Sun 10:00 - 16:00
CLAIMS NUMBER - call 0333 400 7365
Convertible car
Get a Quote button
Retrieve Your Quote button

European Car Insurance

Whether people use their car in Europe for a 'booze cruise' to Calais or whether they venture further a field to Italy, Croatia or Greece, one thing they will need is European cover on their motor insurance policy. Many customers do not think ahead when buying motor cover and only go for the cheapest cover. As we will discuss later on there are significant differences in the cover available. There are however minimum levels of cover.

All policies will offer minimum level of insurance within the EU as stipulated by EU motor insurance directives. Most insurers will offer a free foreign use period within their standard cover but the total number of days will vary from 0 to 365.

Although a green card is no longer required, as most certificates include European wording, some customers prefer to have a green card for their own reassurance. Green cards are still provided for countries that are outside the usual EU territorial limits. Some insurers will charge for these green cards.

If a car is lost or damaged abroad, insurers may have to pay customs duty relating to the cost of repairing and returning the vehicle. Most provide this within the foreign use section.

The basic rule is that when choosing a policy you should consider foreign use. It is almost always available as an add on.