0844 493 7789*
*Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
Mon - Fri 08:30 - 21:00
Sat 09:00 - 17:00
Sun 10:00 - 16:00
CLAIMS NUMBER - call 0333 400 7365
Convertible car
Get a Quote button
Retrieve Your Quote button

Womans Car Insurance Guide

Confused womanThis article intends to address much of the confusion surrounding women’s car insurance in the UK.

The big question seems to be, "What do I need when I’m looking for insurance?". Unfortunately there isn't a straightforward answer to that question. If you’re a first time driver with little or no claims bonus and a car worth £500 then the chances are that you’re not going to need fully comprehensive car insurance.

On the other hand if you’ve been driving for 20 years, you have a substantial no claims bonus and are driving a nice new Mercedes then you’ll be better off with a fully comprehensive policy.

Let's just sum up the terms for you and then we’ll look into areas for attention.

Fully Comprehensive Car Insurance (Fully Comp)

This level of women’s car insurance covers you against accidental damage to your car as well as others. So if you had an accident that was your fault, your car would also be repaired. Many women’s car insurance companies will bolt on extras to the policy but we will discuss that later on in the article.

Read more about comprehensive car insurance.

Third Party Fire & Theft (TPFT)

This level of car insurance covers other peoples cars and property in the event of an accident that was your fault, but please note that your car is not covered. Your car is only insured against theft and fire on this level of cover.

Read more about third party fire and theft car insurance.

Third Party

This level of insurance just covers other people (the third party) if you have an accident. Your car is not covered, even if it is stolen, which is why this level of car insurance is only recommended for very low value vehicles.

Read more about third party car insurance

Protected No Claims

Many insurers are awarding careful drivers with the option to protect their no claims bonus. While this is an excellent feature to have on a woman's car insurance policy, it is important to read the small print. Some companies will only allow you to make one claim in the year before they start to deduct your NCB.

Courtesy Cars

Some insurance policies may offer a courtesy car, but once again watch out for the small print. Very often it is for a limited period (~2 weeks) and then you will have to start paying for it out of your own pocket.

When trying to choose the right level of car insurance there are a couple of major factors to look at.

How much is your car worth?

  • If it’s worth very little then you’d be best going for Third Party insurance, possibly with the Fire & Theft option.
  • If it’s worth a lot (over £5000) most insurers will insist on fully comprehensive insurance.

Do you have any NCB?

  • If you have little or no NCB then you would probably be better off going for Third Party Fire & Theft insurance. Always make sure that you add on fire & theft insurance if your car is worth a moderate amount of money.
  • If you have a higher level of NCB we recommend going for Fully Comprehensive insurance if you can afford it. The benefits are worth it as long as your car is worth some money. Also make sure that you protect your NCB as it will pay for itself if you have an accident.

Call Girl Motor on *0344 493 7743 or get a quote online.

*Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.